Temporary Resident Visas (Visitor Visas) and eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) for Canada

Canada welcomes more than 35 million temporary residents (non-immigrants) each year. Except for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, all other individuals require permission to enter Canada as a visitor and require either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an eTA (electronic Travel Authorization), unless they are US Citizens.

The following foreigners need either a TRV or an eTA:

Temporary foreign workers (individuals with work permits)
International students (individuals on study permits)
Business Visitors

TRV or an eTA? You only need one of them, not both.

Citizens of visa-exempt countries intending to travel to Canada by air are expected to have applied for an obtained an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before their departure to Canada.

Exception: Citizens of the United States do not require a TRV or an eTA, but Green Card holders in the United States, require an eTA to come to Canada, regardless of their nationality.

If you are NOT a citizen from a visa-exempt country, you WILL need a TRV to enter Canada.

To find out if you need a TRV or eTA before departure to Canada, click here.

What is a eTA (electronic Travel Authorization)?

As of March 15, 2016, travellers with passports from countries that are visa-exempt who enter Canada by air will need an eTA.

The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

What is a TRV and how to apply for one?

The TRV is a document issued by a Canadian Immigration Visa Office outside Canada, showing that the holder has satisfied the requirements for admission to Canada as a visitor. TRVs may be for single entry or multiple entry. As a general rule, tourists are admitted for a period of six months. Temporary foreign workers and international students are admitted for varying periods of time, as determined on a case-by-case basis. Extensions may be applied for from within Canada.

It is important to note that possession of a valid TRV does not necessarily mean that the Officer at the Canadian Port of Entry will admit the visitor into Canada. At the Port of Entry, all visitors must demonstrate that the purpose of their visit to Canada is of a temporary nature. Officers at the Port of Entry will deny admission to all persons who, in their opinion, do not intend to leave Canada at the expiry of their visitor status.

Items to note:

  • Certain applicants may need to undergo a medical examination. This pertains to some individuals who intend to remain in Canada and have recently visited certain countries, as well as persons who intend to work in certain occupations in Canada.
  • Criminality and medical issues may prevent a visitor from entering Canada.
  • Visitors to Canada must be able to prove their ability to support themselves during their intended temporary stay in Canada.
  • Citizens of certain countries may need to provide biometric information. To learn which countries this applies to, click here.

Country Checklist: Temporary Resident Visas or eTA (electronic Travel Authorization)

TRVs are required for citizens of certain countries. The chart below outlines which individuals require a TRV and which individuals need an eTA in order to enter Canada.

Country TRV Required? eTA Required?
Afghanistan YES NO
Albania YES NO
Algeria YES NO
Andorra NO YES
Angola YES NO
Anguilla NO YES
Antigua & Barbuda NO YES
Argentina YES NO
Armenia YES NO
Australia NO YES
Austria NO YES
Azerbaijan YES NO
Bahamas NO YES
Bahrain YES NO
Bangladesh YES NO
Barbados NO YES
Belarus YES NO
Belgium NO YES
Belize YES NO
Benin YES NO
Bermuda NO YES
Bhutan YES NO
Bolivia YES NO
Bosnia-Herzegovina YES NO
Botswana YES NO
Brazil: *currently have a US visa (eTA), or held a Canadian visa within last 10 years (eTA) *YES *NO
Brunei NO NO
Bulgaria: *currently have a US visa (eTA), or held a Canadian visa within last 10 years (eTA) *YES *NO
Burkina Faso YES NO
Burundi YES NO
Cambodia YES NO
Cameroon YES NO
Cape Verde YES NO
Central African Republic YES NO
Chile NO YES
China YES NO
Colombia YES NO
Congo, Democratic Republic YES NO
Congo, Republic of YES NO
Costa Rica YES NO
Croatia NO YES
Cyprus NO YES
Czech Republic NO YES
Denmark NO YES
Djibouti YES NO
Dominica YES NO
Dominican Republic YES NO
Ecuador YES NO
Egypt YES NO
El Salvador YES NO
Equatorial Guinea YES NO
Eritrea YES NO
Estonia NO YES
Ethiopia YES NO
Finland NO YES
France NO YES
Gabon YES NO
Gambia YES NO
Georgia YES NO
Germany YES NO
Ghana YES NO
Greece NO YES
Grenada YES NO
Guatemala YES NO
Guinea YES NO
Guyana YES NO
Haiti YES NO
Honduras YES NO
Hungary NO YES
Iceland NO YES
India YES NO
Indonesia Iran NO
Ireland NO YES
Israel (passport holders) NO YES
Israel (holders of travel document in lieu of passport) YES NO
Italy NO YES
Ivory Coast YES NO
Jamaica YES NO
Japan NO YES
Jordan YES NO
Kazakhstan YES NO
Kenya YES NO
Kiribati YES NO
Korea, North YES NO
Korea, South NO YES
Kosovo YES NO
Kuwait YES NO
Kyrgyzstan YES NO
Latvia NO YES
Lebanon YES NO
Lesotho YES NO
Liberia YES NO
Libya YES NO
Liechtenstein NO YES
Lithuania NO YES
Luxembourg NO YES
Macao YES NO
Macedonia YES NO
Madagascar YES NO
Malawi YES NO
Malaysia YES NO
Maldives YES NO
Malta NO YES
Mauritania YES NO
Mauritius YES NO
Mexico NO YES
Moldova YES NO
Monaco NO YES
Mongolia YES NO
Montenegro YES NO
Montenegro YES NO
Mozambique YES NO
Myanmar YES NO
Namibia YES NO
Nepal YES NO
Netherlands NO YES
New Zealand NO YES
Nicaragua YES NO
Niger YES NO
Nigeria YES NO
Norway NO YES
Pakistan YES NO
Palau YES NO
Panama YES NO
Paraguay YES NO
Philippines YES NO
Poland NO YES
Portugal NO YES
Qatar YES NO
Romania: *currently have a US visa (eTA), or held a Canadian visa within last 10 years (eTA) *YES *NO
Russia YES NO
Rwanda YES NO
San Marino NO YES
Sao Tome e Principe YES NO
Saudi Arabia YES NO
Senegal YES NO
Serbia YES NO
Seychelles YES NO
Sierra Leone YES NO
Singapore NO YES
Slovakia NO YES
Slovenia NO YES
Somalia YES NO
South Africa YES NO
Spain NO YES
Sri Lanka YES NO
St. Kitts & Nevis YES NO
Sudan YES NO
Surinam YES NO
Swaziland YES NO
Sweden NO YES
Switzerland NO YES
Syria YES NO
Taiwan NO YES
Tajikistan YES NO
Tanzania YES NO
Thailand YES NO
Tonga YES NO
Trinidad and Tobago YES NO
Tunisia YES NO
Turkey YES NO
Turkmenistan YES NO
Turks and Caicos NO YES
Tuvalu YES NO
Uganda YES NO
Ukraine YES NO
United Arab Emirates YES NO
United Kingdom NO YES
United States of America NO YES
Uruguay YES NO
Uzbekistan YES NO
Vanuatu YES NO
Venezuela YES NO
Vietnam YES NO
Yemen YES NO
Zambia YES NO
Zimbabwe YES NO

Need Help?

Contact us for more information on Visiting Canada or for assistance in applying for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).